Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bhendi Burji with aloo (Orka with Potatoes)

Bhendi Burji is one of my favorite recipes. Its easy and goes great with almost anything; rice, roti, naan or even curd rice! I made a slight variation to the traditional burji on the recommendation of another acquaintance of mine, Chitrala. I was falling short of bhendi (okra), so I was told to use 1 big potato to increase the quantity and guess what...it was a huge success!If you have never tried making this combo, I recommend it, you would not be disappointed. Serves 2 easily.

Ingredients:
Okra: 1/4 kg (1/2 lb), washed, dried and cut into small pieces
Potato: Big, 1 pealed and chopped
Onion: 1 big, chopped
Red Chili: 2, broken into 4 pieces
Cumin: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 1 string
Salt: 1 tsp or according to taste
Red Chili powder: 1 tsp (depending on desired spice level)
Oil: 2 tbsp

Method:
  • Heat (medium flame) oil in a wide bottomed pan and add cumin, broken red chili followed by curry leaves.
  • Now add the onion and fry until translucent.
  • Add the chopped potato and okra. Fry until okra and potato are cooked; stir at least once in 5 mins and it should be done in like 20 mins. 
  • Add salt and red chili powder and serve hot with naan bread/rice/roti.

17 comments:

  1. Yummy looking colorful bhurji. Love to have it any time of the day.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okra with potato combo is new to me..looks so delicious..I'll try out this for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and mouthwatering combo,nice one dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooooooooooooooh yummmyyyyyyy
    and bhindi is my favourite vegetable toooo :)

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting burji,truly inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious combo,luks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too make this combo..they go very well wid each other...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious ... new to me though but sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had them several times, in my hostel...but never tried to fix them myself. Now I have the recipe, wud love to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete