Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bhendi Burji with aloo (Orka with Potatoes)

Bhendi Burji is one of my favorite recipes. Its easy and goes great with almost anything; rice, roti, naan or even curd rice! I made a slight variation to the traditional burji on the recommendation of another acquaintance of mine, Chitrala. I was falling short of bhendi (okra), so I was told to use 1 big potato to increase the quantity and guess was a huge success!If you have never tried making this combo, I recommend it, you would not be disappointed. Serves 2 easily.

Okra: 1/4 kg (1/2 lb), washed, dried and cut into small pieces
Potato: Big, 1 pealed and chopped
Onion: 1 big, chopped
Red Chili: 2, broken into 4 pieces
Cumin: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 1 string
Salt: 1 tsp or according to taste
Red Chili powder: 1 tsp (depending on desired spice level)
Oil: 2 tbsp

  • Heat (medium flame) oil in a wide bottomed pan and add cumin, broken red chili followed by curry leaves.
  • Now add the onion and fry until translucent.
  • Add the chopped potato and okra. Fry until okra and potato are cooked; stir at least once in 5 mins and it should be done in like 20 mins. 
  • Add salt and red chili powder and serve hot with naan bread/rice/roti.


  1. Yummy looking colorful bhurji. Love to have it any time of the day.

    Hamaree Rasoi

  2. Looks yum and I love this combo..

  3. Okra with potato combo is new to me..looks so delicious..I'll try out this for sure

  4. Delicious and mouthwatering combo,nice one dear.

  5. Yummy combo ! Love it very much

  6. ooooooooooooooooooh yummmyyyyyyy
    and bhindi is my favourite vegetable toooo :)


  7. Very interesting burji,truly inviting..

  8. I too make this combo..they go very well wid each other...

  9. Looks delicious ... new to me though but sounds like a great idea.

  10. I have had them several times, in my hostel...but never tried to fix them myself. Now I have the recipe, wud love to try it soon.

  11. Looks awesome and a lovely combo