Tomatoes: 1/2 kg
Green Chilies: 6 (increase or decrease this according to taste)
Cumin/Jeera: 1 tbsp
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal: 1 tsp
Curry Leaves: 1 string
Hing: 1 pinch
- Heat 1 tsp oil in big pan (enough to fit tomatoes) and add cumin and green chilies. Once chilies are roasted and softened a bit, remove from the pan to another small bowl.
- In the same pan add add the washed and chopped tomatoes and keep cooking until tomatoes are completely cooked. This will take some time considering you are cooking 1/2 kg of tomatoes.
- After the tomatoes are completely cooked through, remove from the pan and cool it.
- After they are cool, transfer to a blender and add salt and also the fried cumin and green chilies from step 1.
- Blend them fine and transfer to a serving bowl.
- For tempering, take a small pan and heat oil. To the oil add everything under for tempering and stir for a few seconds until everything is well roasted.
- Add this to the tomato chutney. Also add salt for taste.