There are soooo many recipes for carrot/gajar halwa. I have tried several of them and here is one of the easiest and quickest. It doesnt take that long to cook because we are not going to be cooking this in milk like the traditional halwa. The other day hubby made chicken biryani and while he was at it, I made this halwa for dessert! Yummy!
Carrots: grated, 2 cups
Sugar: 1/2 to 3/4 cup (increase this according to taste)
Cashew nuts and raisins: a few
Ghee: 5 tbsp
Cardamom powder: a pinch
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and roast the cashews and raisins a little. keep these aside.
- In the same pan, add the carrots and gently stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add sugar to the carrots and keep the flame in medium. Stir once in a while.
- Let the carrots cook along with sugar for about 15-20 mins.
- Stir in the cardamom and check the taste of the halwa. You might want to add more sugar at this point.
- Once you are happy with the taste and the rawness of the carrots is gone, add the dry fruits.
- Switch off the flame and serve either hot or cold. I like my halwa hot.
Anu for her Diwali Festival of lights event.