For the longest time I meant to make bread at home and post the recipe in my blog. At last I got around to getting hold of a loaf pan!
Below is the recipe for while wheat bread. Why spend $7 on a loaf of bread while you can make some real smooth, healthy bread at home? I hope you like this recipe. Its really easy, do try it out at home. This recipe is for simple whole wheat bread; I will post 9-grain/cranberry and other flavors in time.
Ingredients: (yields 1 loaf)
Whole Wheat Flour: 4 cups
Warm water: 1 cup
Oil: ¼ cup (I used vegetable oil)
Honey: ¼ cup
Milk: 1/3 cup
Dry yeast: 1 packet (you know those small ones)
Salt: 1 ¼ tsp
- Take a large bowl and mix all the ingredients with the exception of flour, well.
- Add the flour and mix well making sure that there are no lumps; A little softer than roti/naan bread consistency. Make a cylindrical shape out of this.
- Grease a loaf pan and gently insert the dough into this pan.
- Cover this pan with a wet towel and let it stand for 1 hour or until the dough raises.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 D F. Sprinkle some flour on top of this dough.
- Bake this for 50-55 minutes.
Healthy whole wheat bread is ready!
- Make sure that you really mix the dough well. I used both my hands for this and it took some 10 minutes to achieve this.
- To test the done-ness of this bread, lightly thump the bottom of the loaf pan after you remove from the over, it should sound hollow.