Now, there are many ways to make thenga paal saadam. Many usually cook rice separately and then mix with grated coconut. In the below method, I cooked rice with coconut milk. really, its so simple!
Rice (un-cooked, long grain): 3 cups
Onion: 1 large, finely chopped, length wise
Green Chili: 3 large
Coconut Milk: 1 can or milk from 1 fresh coconut
Biryani leaf: 1
Cinnamon: 1 inch piece
Flower (star ani): 1
Ghee/Oil: 2 tbsp
- Soak rice in water and set aside for about 10 mins.
- Heat a large dish (big enough to fit rice) and add Ghee/oil.
- When Ghee heats up, add biryani leaf, star ani, cardamom and Cinnamon. Now add green chilies followed by onion.
- Fry Onion until translucent. Now add rice and fry for 2 mins.
- Now, I usually add 3 cups water and 3 cups coconut milk for 3 cups of rice. Which means, I am using 1:2 rice to liquid ratio. You can also add 6 cups of coconut milk but somehow i find that this would make the rice look like Risotto. I usually add 3 cups water and 3 cups coconut milk.
- Now add salt and cook the rice until well done.