Sorakaya (Bottle Gourd): 1 small, roughly 1 cup
Moong Dal: 1/4 cup
Green Chilies: 1 or 2 according to required spice level
Coconut powder (fresh or dry) grated: 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 1 string
Hing: 1 pinch
Salt: 1 tsp or according to taste
Turmeric powder: 1/8 tsp
Oil: 1 tbsp
- Peel the bottle gourd and chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Dry roast the moong dal until a nice aroma comes out and dry grind this. The powder should be coarse.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds followed by Asafitida (Hing) and curry leaves. When the leaves splutter, add the slip green chilies.
- Fry for a few seconds and add the chopped bottle gourd.
- Cook on medium flame stirring occasionally.
- When its cooked, add the turmeric powder, salt and grated coconut and stir.