- Wash the orka, dry them with a clean cloth until they are completely dry and chop them into small pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the okra.
- While the okra is being fried, heat 1 tbsp of oil in another pan and add the tadka items in the same order. After they start dancing, add the green chilies and onion and fry the onion until translucent.
- To the onions, add the turmeric powder, salt and red chili powder.
- Make sure to stir the okra once in a while.
- To the onions, add the tomatoes and cover and cook until the tomatoes are completely cooked.
- By this time even orka would have fried.
- Add the okra to the tomato mix and immediately switch off the flame.
Monday, January 3, 2011
Tomato and Okra
Have you ever tried mixing tomatoes and orka? If not, you must try the recipe the below way. Dont worry, its not gooey gooey. It also is the best for the days when you have limited okra at home and you need to make do with the same for tonight's dinner and tomorrows lunch. My mom taught me this method.
Okra: quarter kilo or half pound
Onion: 1 medium
Green Chili: 1 chopped
Tomato: 1 medium chopped
Salt: according to taste
Turmeric powder: 1/8 tspRed chili powder: 1/2 tsp
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
cumin/jeera: 1 tsp
curry leaves: a few