Raw mango: 1 big or 2 small
Toor Dal: 1 cup
Onion: 1 medium, diced
Tomato: 1, chopped
Green Chili: 3
Garlic: 3 cloves, roughly mashed
Cilantro/Coriander: handful, washed and chopped
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Channa Dal: 1/2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: 2 strings
Asafitida: a pinch
Oil: 2 tbsp
- Pressure cook the dal/parrupu until dal with 2 cups water until completely cooked (about 20-30mins).
- Meanwhile, in a pan, heat oil and add everything under "for tadka" in the same order.
- Now add green chilies and garlic and fry for 30 secs. Now add the chopped onion and fry for a minute.
- To the above, add tomatoes and diced mango. You can also put the seed in. Stir and cook until mango is cooked and tomatoes are near mashed. You can add water if you like.
- Now add turmeric powder and salt. Stir once.
- By now, dal would have been cooked. Remove the lid of the pressure cooker (after the steam is gone) and add the mango mixture to the dal. Switch on the stove and bring the dal to boil. You can also add water should you like your dal to be a little watery.
- Check for salt and add coriander leaves. Switch off the stove.
1. Parrupu with dal and ghee. You can also add some pickle.
2. Parrupu with roti.
3. You can freeze this and use it even after a week if you want.