Bottle Gourd/Sorakaya: 1/2, pealed and chopped
Fresh coconut: 1/2 cup
Channa dal: 1/2 cup, cooked
Milk: 1/2 cup
Green Chili: 3
Turmeric powder: 1/8 tsp
Pepper powder: 1/2 tsp
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Curry Leaves: 1 string
- Pressure cook the already cooked dal and bottle gourd together for about 20 mins.
- Remove the lid of cooker after the pressure is gone.
- Meanwhile, grind coconut and green chilies together and keep them aside.
- Now, switch on the stove of the pressure cooker and add coconut mixture, salt, turmeric powder and pepper powder and bring this to boil.
- In about 5 minutes the raw coconut smell would be gone. Switch off the stove and keep the cooker aside.
- Now add milk and stir.
1. Goes well as a side dish with some spicy achar or with papad.
2. Another way of making bottle gourd is, Poriyal