Thursday, June 16, 2011

Soraka Paal Kootu (Sorakaya/ Bottle Gourd)

Kootu is a south Indian dish (Tamil Nadu) which is easy to make and is not really spicy. I make this on and off at home. I dont remember my mom ever making this. I dont even remember where I picked this recipe. OK...let me leave the introduction short for now :)


Ingredients:
Bottle Gourd/Sorakaya: 1/2, pealed and chopped
Fresh coconut: 1/2 cup
Channa dal: 1/2 cup, cooked
Milk: 1/2 cup
Green Chili: 3
Turmeric powder: 1/8 tsp
Salt
Pepper powder: 1/2 tsp

For Tadka:
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Curry Leaves: 1 string

Method:
  • Pressure cook the already cooked dal and bottle gourd together for about 20 mins. 
  • Remove the lid of cooker after the pressure is gone. 
  • Meanwhile, grind coconut and green chilies together and keep them aside. 
  • Now, switch on the stove of the pressure cooker and add coconut mixture, salt, turmeric powder and pepper powder and bring this to boil. 
  • In about 5 minutes the raw coconut smell would be gone. Switch off the stove and keep the cooker aside. 
  • Now add milk and stir. 
Thats it! Yummy kootu is ready to be enjoyed!

Serving suggestion:
1. Goes well as a side dish with some spicy achar or with papad.
2. Another way of making bottle gourd is, Poriyal

13 comments:

  1. Nice recipe dear..healthy and delicious,perfect with rice

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great curry using bootle gourd ~ a delcious combo of ingredients!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting recipe...Looks healthy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fantastic, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy kootu .I too prepare this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Droolworthy and tempting paal kootu,simply inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy kootu and my fav :) looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Healthy kootu..must have tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love soraikai paal kootu so much, thats very comforting side dish...superb:)

    My for latest updates, pls visit me at www.kitchen-mantra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete