Step 1 ingredients:
Sooji/Rava (Indian Semolina): 1 1/2 cup
Yogurt: 1 cup
Salt: 1 tbsp
Grated coconut (fresh is better, you can use frozen also): 3 tbspGrated carrot: 1/2 cup (you can use upto 3/4 cup if you want)
Cilantro/coriander leaves: handful
Oil: about 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Channaa Dal (split chick peas): 1/2 tsp
Green chillies: finely cut, 1 tsp
Ginger (crushed): 1 inch piece
Asafetida: 1/8 tsp
Curry Leaves: a string (use small leaves)
- Heat a pan and roast the rava/semolina until they slightly golden color. Transfer this to another bowl.
- In the same pan, heat oil and all the ingredients mentioned in "for Tadka" in the same order. Remove this pan from heat now.
- To this pan, add rava first, stir and then add everything under step 1 ingredients.
- Leave the pan aside for 30-40 mins.
- Take the idly stand and grease this with clarified butter. Pour in the mix you just made into each slot.
- Top each slot with a cashew nut. (optional)
- Steam this in a pressure cooker for 15-18 minutes and yummy rava idlies are ready! Serve hot.
- The batter should be just couple of notches thicker than paint consistency. Add more yogurt, should there be a need.
- This goes very well with sambar or coconut chutney.