There are 100 (or more) ways to make Pudina chutney. The below is my favorite way because its easy and can be made with literally 5 ingredients. OK, six including salt. Fresh mint I am using comes from my backyard.
Fresh mint leaves: 1 big bunch, washed, dried and leaves separated
Fresh Ginger: 1 inch piece
Garlic pod: 1
Red Chilies: 3 or more, depending on the spice level you like
Tamarind pulp: 1 tsp
Salt and oil: 1 tsp each
- Heat oil in a pan and roast the mint leaves until they change color. I usually let them brown and keep them aside.
- in the same pan, add a bit more oil and roast ginger, garlic and red chilies and keep aside.
- Take a blender (I used stainless steel, juicer will not do) and grind all the ingredients including salt and tamarind.
- Check for salt and you are good to serve!
1. Some times I also add a small bunch of coriander (cilantro) leaves to mint leaves while roasting in oil.
2. You can also add green chilies along with red chilies for a different taste.
3. Sometimes i also add fresh coconut (1/4 cup) while roasting the ginger and garlic. This also gives an entirely different taste.