Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lemon Rice

I hate Wednesdays. If it were up to me, I would declare every Wednesday a holiday so that I am never too far from a day-off. 2 days we work, 1 day off and after 2 days, we get Sat and Sun off! Wouldnt that be great?
Usually I am so bored on Wednesdays that I try and make as simple a meal as humanly possible (apart from soups of course). So lemon rice it is today!


Ingredients:
Cooked rice: 2 cups
Lemon juice: juice from 2 lemons
Salt

Mix the above and keep aside. You can taste the rice now and adjust the salt and lemon juice.

For Tadka:
Oil: 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal (white lentils): 1/4 tsp
Channa dal (gram) : 1/2 tsp
Asafetida:  a pinch
Red Chilies: 1, broken into halves
Green Chili: 2, slit
Ground nuts: handful
Curry leaves: 2 strings
Turmeric powder

Heat oil in a pan and add 'for Tadka' ingredients in the same order. Fry for 3-5 minutes and add to the rice. That's all!

Note: 
1. You can substitute 3/4 cup of raw grated mango instead of lemon juice.
2. You can also put some fresh grated coconut in your lemon rice.
3. I like to eat my Lemon rice with curd/yogurt.

10 comments:

  1. My husband makes awesome Lemon rice...simple but delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too love this..yummy and tangy rice,looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy and my all time favourite rice Madhu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious lemon rice,I love eating it with some vathal and yogurt.

    Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. lemon rice looks delicious madhu ...its my favorite too ..yummy

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. An all time favourite in my household,lovely looking lemon rice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had once tasted lemon rice when I was in school , from my friend's lunch box. I loved it then...But forgot abt it after that.
    Hope you had a happy, lazy Wednesday with lovely lemon rice..

    ReplyDelete
  8. lemon rice is my fav too, just love it anytime with spicy potato fry..super one pot meal..perfectly done Madhu!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks ladies! Wednesday was pretty lazy, as you can very well imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you idea for WEDNESDAY please do something so it happens that way I will vote for you always :)

    Bikram's Blog

    ReplyDelete