This is fairly close to Pongal/snakranti in India. Traditionally it is that time of the year to give thanks and celebrate in general. Turkey is cooked and friends and family gather on this special holiday. Pumpkin Pie is also a traditional dessert which is baked on this day. I made some this morning. It came out really good. Here is the recipe. Its one of the basic recipes for pumpkin pie.
Pie crust: 9 inches, store-bought
Pumpkin pulp: 1 3/4 cup
Cinnamon: 1 tsp (finely ground)
Nutmeg: 1/2 tsp
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Crushed ginger: 1/4 tsp
Sugar: 1 cup
Evaporated Milk: 3/4 cup (175 ml)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- In a big bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, ginger. To this, add the beaten eggs and evaporated milk.
- To the above mixture add the pumpkin pulp and mix well for 1 minute. Do not over-mix.
- Fill in the mixture in the crust and bake in preheated (425 F) oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 F and bake for another 40 minutes. That's all!
1. Traditionally brown sugar is used to bake a pumpkin pie. But I somehow like mine with white sugar.
2. If you are using brown sugar, bake only for 30 minutes in the last step I mentioned instead of 40 minutes.
3. Insert a tooth pick in the center of the pie; if it comes out clean, the pie is ready.
4. Don't over bake it. The above timings I used are perfect for my measurements.
5. Remember, like in any other baking stuff, 1 cup is 1 cup. Level the cup; don't heap it.